Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Of all the things

I left high school in 1990. I was 17, entering my last semester of my LAST year of high school and I left. Granted, I was pregnant and married. I thought I wanted to be with my husband. Ironically, we are divorced. Oh, the things I know now. Moving on....
Last week, I enrolled in night high school. Yes, they take people as old as me. Sometimes even older. As Matt and I pulled up to the building, I inwardly shuddered. Just something about the sign "Frank Church High School" made me go....UGH! I instantly became 15, worried about what the other kids might think of me. Are you kidding??!! I am 37 years old. I have GOT to get over myself! After talking to the counselor, I walked to the class room and met the teacher. She's very nice. Glancing around, I caught the eye of a teen boy. He looked cocky and very self assured. Raising my eyebrow, I said to the teacher "THEY have to call me Mrs. L, but you can call me by my first name." I realized at that moment that although it is every adults nightmare to go back to high school, I have a chance. An opportunity to finish what was started. It will not make me a better person, mom or wife. It will not improve my english skills. I will still be me....I have not let the fact that I am diplomaless define my life. I have moved past every other obstacle with a lot of prayer and many, many mistakes. I have made it through, I have overcome and I have survived. Finishing school will show our girls that it's never too late. It will show them that mom has guts and bravery. And I will be proud of me....it may be 20 years late, but at least I'm doing it.
And when those cocky teens decide they are my peers, I will firmly remind them that I am old enough to be their mother.....and have no problem with that whatsoever!

No comments:

Post a Comment