Thursday, October 8, 2009

Duly Noted

As I write this, I am shaking my head. My wonderful, full of hope for our Juliet, blog must be changed. As duly noted, her Romeo is back in school. With her. So what does that mean?? I have no clue. The happy dance inside me has ceased, I am chastised. Hmmm. Consider that blog ammended. On to the next subject.
At what point does one truly grow up? My sister has always been a bit younger than her age. We have one daughter that is a bit behind her peers socially. Does that mean she's immature? No. It just means she hasn't developed the tactics of building deep friendships yet. She's learning. But, it's painful for me to watch her learn. I KNOW I could help her, yet she pushes me away consistently. It's almost the toddler "I can do it" mentality. When she was a toddler, she did everything herself...who knew it was an omen of how she would live her life?? She grew up hiding herself....pretending everything was ok, even if it wasn't. She believes asking for help is a weakness. Aren't we almost bred that way? Aren't we taught to be "self sufficient" and self serving? Society teaches us that we can do it! Even if we can't. It's not that I don't think she should try things, I just know it's ok to ask for help and to lean on other people.
We have another daughter that was a very happy baby. Who thought that a happy baby meant a happy kid? I did, I did!! Well....that is a MYTH! She became the drama girl, the one who always sees rain in the sunshine and always worries. (Yes, Matty...she gets the worry from me) If someone doesn't call, she pictures him dead on the side of the road. Once, she got so mad she hit the table.....then told us we didn't care that she had hurt herself. I said "Oh, I'm sorry. Am I supposed to feel bad because you CHOSE to hit a table?" Of course I felt bad....but HELLO!! BUT, she tells me most everything...except one thing and I read that on her phone. No privacy in my house. I am all up in their business!!! Both these girls are great girls. I love them intensly with my whole heart. I just wish I could put them in my past....let them see the growing I've had to do.........to see the heartache and realize it's normal. To understand, that sometime, we need help to grow. That sometimes reacting isn't the best thing. So, when is a person truly grown up?
I honestly don't know. I know I am wiser, more fun and alot more free with my fun side. I don't care what people think anymore....I have taught them to dance in the rain, have pillow fights with feather pillows and have water fights in the house. So...I guess I'm not grown up yet, either. I just wish I could make their growing up easier, painless and fruitful. Until we figure out a way to truly do that, I will just pray them through it.....knowing that He picks them up when they fall.

By the way...on second thought...I don't think they need to see my past....I don't think I could explain it......it's kind of scary back there.....LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment