Monday, September 8, 2014

Hero Worship

I'm breaking from my current blog theme. Today, I'm talking about Hero Worship.

There has been a story in the news about an NFL footballer who was kicked off his team for abusing his wife. Like most abuse cases, rumours swirl of what she did or if it was so bad why didn't she leave. People whisper behind their hands about how she must've deserved it, his career is ruined because of her. Until video surfaced, it was her fault, she contributed to his abusing her.. Even now, some people may believe that.

We worship people. We want them to be who we see on t.v., in the movies and the songs we hear. We have favorite sports players, favorite actors, favorite singers. We enjoy favorite authors, favorite presidents. We put these people on pedestals and think they are so special. When they do something wrong we often forgive them, overlooking the act. Because, hey, they're STARS!

Before I loved a man that abused me, I was one of those "Why doesn't she leave?" people. I believed I would never stay in a situation like that.

Well. I stayed for two years. I almost died, had more bruises than could be explained. Some people that knew never said a word, looking the other way. They pretended what I said was true, I pretended it was true. I was insecure, alone and full of sadness. I walked carefully and never fought back. No matter how carefully I walked, he found a reason to hit me. Yet, I stayed.

One day, Hillary cowering behind a chair as he hit me, I decided enough was enough. I almost went back. But God always blocked that door. I am so very grateful. I'm grateful for the experience which allows me to recognize abused women. I'm thankful for His protective hand. I'm thankful we were divorced when he killed his girlfriends baby. I'm thankful he's never sought me out. I'm just thankful.

We are so quick to assume, so quick to jump to the must've happened. Women often have to prove themselves innocent when the victim....what is wrong with this world? We cast blame, assume the worst and wonder. She can't leave....she believes she's loved. And he apologizes....she believes him. I am NOT saying everyone is of one mind with this...I am saying this is common public perception.

There is a story of a woman who was going to be stoned by an angry mob. One man stepped forward in her defense. She was able to leave and she was a new woman after that.

That man is my hero. He is the Alpha, the Omega. He is the King of Kings, Lord of Lords. He is the one who bottles my tears and holds my hand. He hurt for me, through my time of sorrow. Then again when I put myself into a pit. He loves me, though. That I always knew. It is my hope everyone know Him as such. In the meantime, we should stop blaming, stop assuming and start listening. We should stop asking innocents to prove they are such. There is nothing that should ever CAUSE a spouse to hurt their loved one. No amount of anything.

Who are you worshiping today? Who is your "hero"?

Outside God, my hero is my husband. Even with the "Something".

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the most powerful blog posts I've ever read. Thanks. Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete