Saturday, February 8, 2014

Who Says?

Who says that love has an age? I've met people who's love story began at 15 and some who didn't start until their 50's. Who decides the "magic" age?

I mean, I get it. I have daughters. I never wanted them to talk to those who had love stories that began young. I was afraid it would sway them, teach them to look when they're barely able to navigate their emotions. I always told them to wait. Begin their life. Grow. Boy, am I presumptuous!

As their mother, I am given certain liberties. I teach them right from wrong, discipline when needed, love always. I can give advice, pray they take it and lift them up when they don't. But...I can NOT presume to know their story. Because they have one. Each has their own story, written by the greatest Author of all.

So...WHO SAYS they can't love young, can't love old. Who says they have to go to college, who says they can't chuck it all and live in the wilds sharing about Jesus? Who says that they can't decide to not get married at all? Who says they MUST have children, who says they MUST wait a certain amount after marriage? Who says their story is less than written by God?

Well, sometimes I say. I've recently learned that what we say really affects our children. I know! I've been a mother for almost 24 years and I'm STILL learning! I can see where my own agenda has put a crimp in the road for them, see where someone else has swayed thought process and it's hurt my child in the unfolding. I can see glimpses into others lives, glimpses of sorrow and shame and rebellion. I can see those who aren't sure how to love, how to live. Someone else has had a lot of say in those lives. I don't want that to be our girls.

I'm learning that each of their stories is unique to them. When they go off path, God is right there to pick them up and set them straight. Sometimes, there are blips that He allows. And we are all the better for it. We get to grow. Often it hurts, but the outcome is amazing.

Again I ask: Who Says? And if it's you...then WHO are you to say? I will rest in knowing that God is bigger than anything that seems scary. I will rest in His promise that He is FOR them and nothing can stand against Him. I will rest in knowing that at creation, He KNEW about these 6 amazing and wonderfully knit together daughters. He knew them by name, knew their whole life. I will rest in knowing that there isn't a "too young" or a "too old". I will rest in knowing He is in control.

I will rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment