Sunday, February 20, 2011

Family and other people

Family: people you love without knowing why. My daughters tease me because in on child's baby book I wrote the phrase "I don't know why I love you". Of course I meant it in the way of "my love is just given without limits and knowledge"....she took it as I thought she was unlovable. (Not really, but that's what she teases me about)I have learned that there are many definitions of family. I have learned that those who are blood related aren't always family.

Example: My grandparents. They don't talk to me. I've seen them a handful of times in the last 11 years and only when something major was going on. My cousins death, my grandpa's brain surgery. Other than that, they disowned me when I married Matt. Mostly it was because he had dated my cousin (the one who died) before he dated me. And they don't like anyone who didn't stay with her. After a very horrible letter to me, our relationship ended. And so did their relationship with their son, my dad. I realized how much he loves me.....and Matty. They are bitter, angry people....sad without the true knowledge of the Lord. My grandpa in recent times has been sorrowful, yet it's hard. I am pressed to love them, so I do. In this situation, "family" is a tough word to use.

Then there are those who you love by choice. There is a man in my life who has been there since I was very young. He is my "Uncle" Dave. He's been my dad's best friend forever. I hated him. He annoyed me and I couldn't stand him. Turns out, he sold our house when I was about 3 or 4 and I was mad at him because of that. And once, when I had to take a bus with him, I would NOT sit by him. Yet as the years have gone by, I realize he loves my dad. He would do anything for him and probably me. He is family. Not by blood, but by choice. There are others like that. My friend Michelle....the girls call her "Aunt" Michelle and her hubby "Uncle" BWB. They are the "Other People"

Matty proved that family by choice is amazing when he adopted Hillary as his own when she was 13. And in the way he takes care of the other girls. Friends, he was 23 when we met, 24 when we got married. And I came with FOUR daughters. I am amazed everyday that he really chose me.
Another chose me. From the very beginning, before the earth was formed, God knew my name. He knew the names of the daughters He would allow me to have. Knew the day I would know Him. His blood paid for me. His choice made me family. I am in awe of how He loves me. In awe of the fact that He knew everything I would do, everything I would go through and every way I would fail. And He still chose me! There is no better feeling than to know I am His beloved. It's amazzzzzzzing! I am in great company in this family....and blessed to call each one my sibling in Christ. Remember that there are different types of families, but God puts each one together. You are chosen, beloved and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment