Saturday, September 17, 2011

I'm just a girl

Good morning, world. It's me again. After 5 hours of sleep, my internal clock went off and I dragged myself out of bed. And I started thinking. I know....it's crazy. Thinking so early in the morning.
Last night at about 11:15 p.m. I took the teens in my house and made a McDonalds run. The young adult taking our order was very sweet.....he was also flirting with me. Emily looked at me in surprise.
SURPRISE? As in, "OH MY GOODNESS! my mom is flirt worthy" surprise. Um, excuse me?! Of course I am. Yet, I realized how odd it is for them. And I think they forget I'm just a girl. They forget that I wasn't born this age and they forget that I actually had a life before them. And I like to be flirted with. (you know you do too!) I like to look pretty and more than that to know someone else thinks I look pretty. (Yes, Matty....I know you think I look pretty) I still get giddy when I see that cute boy looking at me.....(Matty). And it's still confidence boosting when the McDonalds guy flirts with me.
As a girl, confidence wanes. My self esteem takes a hit when I'm feeling "less than" and there are just some days I feel so icky about me. As a girl, my weight has gone up and down (up right now). When that happens, my confidence level fluctuates as well. I feel good, I feel bad. When my kiddos talk about how their friends all like to come over to our house, I feel great. I feel like I've done something right. When the girls are sad and feeling "less than" I commiserate. But here's the thing....THEY DON'T BELIEVE ME! They believe I was born almost 39 with no life experience. And how could I possibly understand?? EEESH! I am JUST a girl.
I get the same fluttery emotions, the same desire to know I'm pretty. The same ups and downs in my thought process. And it's fun to know I'm "flirt" worthy. It's also fun to see the look of surprise on the girls' faces when they realize I'm being flirted with. I asked Matty if he notices when someone flirts with him. He said no. So it leads me to the question: Does anyone else notice? Is he just oblivious to what happens? Am I an attention hog that only survives with flirty-ness?
Hmmmmm, nope. I don't think so. I ignore the flirters. I don't flirt back (not intentionally) and I don't dress for anyone but Matty and me. I honor God with my dress and my attitude. But sometimes, I think it does the girls good to remember that I am just a girl.....and not as old as they think.


Matty is oblivious. That's just him. But believe you me.....those women get no where NEAR my husband. I can spot a flirter a mile away and I have no problem going a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment