Saturday, July 19, 2014

Things We Don't Talk About

There are things, in this world, that we don't talk about. You'd like to believe that as Christians, believers in the one true God, we'd be honest with each other about our sins, sorrows and all the struggles we go through. Because then, we'd know we're not alone. But there are things we don't talk about....so we think we're alone. I've used this blog as a forum. A way to be completely honest with you. And here I am again.

I won't go into too much detail. We're not there yet. BUT...Matty and I started marriage counseling on Friday. GASP! I know! COUNSELING! Um, what EXACTLY is the big deal?

We are admitting that as a married couple (almost 14 years) WE ARE STRUGGLING. The struggle we're going through now is pretty big. Our sorrow is bigger....but we're staying married. And we're talking to someone about it. We are able to talk without judgement, talk without worrying how the other will respond. We are able to cry, laugh and be angry. This person, this counselor, listens and is FOR our marriage. Bigger than that, WE are for our marriage. Even bigger (and better), God is for our marriage.

A few blogs ago, I wrote about how I "left" Matty and he "left" me. I thought we were working through it. Turns out it was a bandaid. An easy fix....an "OH LOOK! Everything's better!". Nope. Not even close. The details are too new to share, but I believe that someday God will press us to do just that. Why? So that you KNOW you're not the only believer to struggle. I'm sure this has you speculating. You can speculate all you want.....it doesn't get you anywhere.

It's easy to look at another couple and think that you're nothing like them. Beware, your marriage is at risk. Protect your hearts, guard your spouse's. Don't get caught up in the idea that you're safe just because you're saved. Those are two very different things, my friends.

I love my husband. My husband loves me. Sometimes, we need to be reminded. Sometimes, we need a bit of help discovering how to get back "on track" and out of the complacency our lives have slipped into. It's so easy to get into a rut, same thing every day. Same conversation, new day. Same sorrows....same confusion....same struggles. Not knowing how to get back in control, the spiral getting tighter. There is always a catalyst....be aware.

You are not alone. I know that those of you that are married have not had the perfect marriage, no matter the front we see. I know that everyone one of us is a sinner....therefore there is no perfection. We need to start talking. We need to start being honest. We need to show each other the healed wounds, the victory that we have overcome the bad. We need......

Please pray for us. It's not easy, yet already some things have gotten.....non complacent. Our goal is to love each other better, remember each other more and to stay married. He is my beloved, I am his.

More importantly, we are both His.

"Its a slow fade
When you give yourself away
Its a slow fade
When black and white are turned to gray

And thoughts invade, choices are made
A price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than youre thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking"

Casting Crowns, Slow Fade. I do not own the rights to these lyrics, am so thankful they exist.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing so honestly. Marriage is the hardest thing ever (maybe a tie with parenthood, I don't know.)
    Thought you'd written the lyrics--you could've.
    Love you! Counselling is a really good thing--it has helped us a lot! (Liz and I, but it has also indirectly helped everyone else in our family.)

    ReplyDelete