Thursday, March 27, 2014

Plot Twist!

I used that term a lot in my Facebook status recently. That's because my life was twisting all over the place. Long story short: There was a wedding planned for August that happened on this past Tuesday. What a twist that was!

I am so happy for our daughter and our new son in law. It's slowly sinking in that yes, they really did get married. Yes, he is really her husband and yes....she'll be moving away in June. It seems surreal to me, like I'm living in some dream state. Yesterday, as her and her older sister lovingly (and sarcastically) teased each other, my heart was sad. I realized that those moments will now be fewer....our puzzle is shifting once again.

Remember my blog "Who Says"? It was about the bride and groom. They are young, inexperienced and totally "it" for each other. You will certainly ask why they got married so quickly and so young. You might even assume some things. There was no 'need' for a wedding, nothing that's hidden. They got married for the same reason anyone does. As for the timing, it doesn't matter what we say....if you think it's a bad idea, you'll find a reason for our reasons to be invalid. And that's ok.

Because here's the thing: They're married. We (her dad and I) spent a lot of time agonizing over this, praying over them and the decisions that needed to be made. They prayed. And before you scoff, please remember that age has nothing to do with prayer or whether or not God speaks. When I asked our son in law why, his answers were simple: He loved her and God told him she would be his wife. That was enough.

We weren't looking for a husband for this daughter. She had plans to be a doctor, her life was full already. A marriage has thrown that all off kilter, but that was when I knew she really loved him. When she said she would put college on hold for a year. Prior to him, there was no changing her heart. She still wants to be a doctor...she wants to be his wife more right now. They're good kids. They get to grow up together, lean on each other, fight and make up...they get to figure it out.

What this whole twisted plot comes down to is God. He is the author. I always think I have things figured out. I have prayed, tested Him, begged Him to stop everything that's outside His will. I have asked for His light upon every step and at times thought maybe He was stopping it. He didn't. And now, they're married. And that is sacred. I trust that the Lord will protect, provide and guide them. It won't be easy, but age aside, marriage NEVER IS!

So I ask you, please pray for them. Pray for strength, wisdom, joy and fellowship for them. And pray for me...my heart is sad over her moving away.

Truth: God is good. Just because I didn't see all the plot twists happening, I can take heart in knowing He did. He does. There is nothing that happens without His knowledge, not even without His consent. He loves them the most.

1 comment:

  1. I love you! Congratulations. I wish for you one quiet, boring day.

    ReplyDelete