Monday, April 8, 2013

Those Magic Moments

I don't believe in magic. Don't believe in unicorns, leprechauns or genie's. We don't let our girls watch Harry Potter, but do let them watch Disney movies. We don't watch Twilight, but Chicken and I love to watch "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer". Probably because the vampires in Buffy aren't sparkly odd balls. I may not believe in magic, but I do believe in the magic moments of life. (AHA! Wondering when I would throw the title in, huh?)

Those moments begin to shape and define our world. We tuck them away, inside our hearts and hold them close. Our colt girl has had more romantic, 'magic' airport (movieish) moments than one young girl should have. Last year, as he left, he leaned over the security line and tucked a necklace into her hands and said "So you don't forget me." She sighed and whispered back, "I could never forget you."
This year, parting was great sorrow. He almost missed his flight, he was hugging her so long then standing at the exit doors on the other side of security, watching and waving. Those moments are hers, tucked inside her heart. It made me reflect on my own moments.

Down memory lane we go......
Matty once took me above the city, played Journey and cuddled me as we watched the twinkling lights of the city. After a HUGE fight.
Hillary was born, Emily was born, Chellsei was born, Kaily was born, Savannah was born and finally, Harley was born. Those were intense magic moments.
When I say, 'Honey! I have an idea!' Matty (mostly) listens...even if it involves painting.
Reya was born.
My dad cried the day he gave me away.
Meeting friend in California. That was the MOST fun!
Going to Disneyland every year for 4 years.
....there are so many more. Most of them involve the girls, involve Matty, friends and family.

The colt girl's moments, those belong to her. I realized as I watched them watch each other from across and behind airport doors, that those moments didn't involve me. I watched him take steps to go through the doors that would bring him back to her arms. Watched her shoo him back, tears streaming down her face. I watched as an observer, one removed. Until I pulled her away, then it became part of my story. I sorrow a little. I am not quite ready for her to love someone this way. It was a magic moment that I only got to see, not be a part of. As her mother, my heart sorrowed a bit.

God blesses us with those moments when we aren't looking for them. Sometimes, we try to make them happen. The results of that aren't always what we hoped. As young girls, we hope and dream of our Prince Charming, and the moment he'll sweep us off our feet. Sometimes, the love story is just like that. Sometimes, it's not. But take heart, each moment IS written by the Author, the Creator of life.
Anything we may try to put into play, He sees and knows.

The best magic moment: The one where I realized that I am truly His beloved. I am His bride, He delights in me. There is a moment every day that I breathe easier knowing I belong to Him. Often it consists of Him reminding me that I haven't chatted with him lately....a loving whap on the head. Those moments when I know it's Him and Him alone that I can take comfort in. The breeze that blows my way after I pray for it, the phone call telling me someone loves me, the calm after I pray. That is Him. He is the greatest love story.

As we watch things unfold around us, I am reminded to find the magic in the every day. I don't want to miss it, don't want to be complacent. I don't know how colt girl's story will end...but I'm flattered to be an observer, if a little sad. Take some time today, friend, to enjoy Those Magic Moments. And don't blink, you might miss them.

1 comment: