Thursday, October 13, 2011

When the Bough Breaks

......The cradle will fall. That's how the nursery rhyme goes. It's actually a pretty demented song. Babies in trees, limbs breaking, cradles (with baby) falling. Yet also fairly accurate.
Everyday, I feel like a cradle has "fallen". I feel like I didn't catch it, didn't even try. They hurt. They make choices. They walk a smidge away from the "safety zone". And what do I do? Watch. And pray. And sometimes yell. And sometimes cry. Sometimes, I throw my hands up and wait for the inevitable. The sorrow and the angst. That's the hardest. Watching as they walk up to the axe murderer and ask him to pretty please not kill them. Or they run away in high heels.
And then I say things. Sometimes, those things cause wounds. I don't mean to. I'm just scared for them. However once the words are out, that is pretty much it. I can't shove them back into my mouth, can't pretend I didn't say them. So I don't. Instead, I apologize and try and explain my fear and my sorrows. There are some things they expose themselves to that I wish I could erase from their minds. Wish I could take on for them. These things cause me no end of hurt FOR them, no end of sorrow. With all my blustering, they just don't get that. The weight is enormous.

It's times like these that I just look up at the Lord and wonder at His mercy and grace. I wonder that we constantly are talking to axe murderers and He is oh so patiently loving us. Patiently watching and waiting to take our burdens. I am so grateful that His words don't cause wounds. I am so thankful that He allows for my tears and my fears. (poetry in motion) The super grand thing is that He is that same way with the girls. And for that I am super duper thankful. No amount of wind can shake us out of the tree that He holds....we will never fall.


I no longer run in high heels.....it's a health hazard.

2 comments: