Monday, November 8, 2010

Infatuation

That is a loaded word. I see it in our girls, the way they like a boy. Or in the younger ones, the way they like a certain toy. Sometimes in my husband. He likes NCIS....and guns....and a holster for his gun. Drives me crazy. Rod Stewart had a song called "Infatuation". Anyone remember that?
Mostly, I see it in me. It's odd, the things that infatuate me. Years ago, I loved that show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". Owned every season and couldn't get me away from it. Mostly, I liked "Spike". Bad boy vampire with bleach blonde hair. Sigh...I couldn't help it. He was HOT! (sorry hubby...FYI hubby was well aware of my crush) I would watch it daily. Guess what happened? God told me to stop watching and to get rid of every season. WHAT??! So I did. I didn't want to. It was like taking off my arm. Ok, not really....but STILL! Sigh. That was 5 years ago. To this day, I haven't watched an episode. I want to, even tried to watch one on Hulu. Funny thing: that show was down that day.
Other things that infatuate me: the color red, skeletons (leftover from Buffy days?), Dancing with the Stars and Jack Vettriano, an artist. I tend to like odd things. Things that others would say are really strange. But that's ok. I think infatuation can be healthy, as long as it doesn't turn into obsession. God is a jealous God....He should be our obsession, our passion and our focus.
I've realized lately that the things that infatuate me take up too much of my time. I have a lot of "ought to"s in my life. I need to realize that the things I "ought to" do are the things I CAN do. Things I get the priveledge to do. I CAN love my husband for the rest of our lives. I CAN read my bible every day. I CAN exercise and eat right. It's ok to enjoy my infatuations. It's not ok to put them first and begin an "ought to" lifestyle.
There are other things I am infatuated with: Harley's smile, Chellsei's sparkle, Kaily's free thinking, Emily's nurturing, Savannah's joy and HIllary's growth. And I love, love, loveeeeee my Matty. And I am infatuated with my God. He is truley an awesome God. I love that He loves my joy, that He loves me so much He gave me things to enjoy.I CAN worship Him every day, talk to Him and rave over Him. Not only can I, but I will. Hopefully every day. But if I get distracted, I know He still loves me. He's just waiting for me to come back around. And sometimes, He nudges. It may be a sacrifice on my end (what I think is a sacrifice), but it's always worth it. His presence is my reward.

sidenote: Matty's hair was bleached when I met him.....Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment