Saturday, December 1, 2012

Wrappings and Trappings

Our gifts are wrapped! Yes, world, I am already done wrapping gifts. I did most of my shopping on black Friday...or Thursday as it was. Our tree is up, our lights are lit and the stockings are hung. I have a list of things to do, see and places to be. I have parties to plan and baking to do. Emily will be home, we have a new granddaughter and a son in law to celebrate with. Kaily has a new (old) boyfriend (remember the one from over a year ago?) and someone else could have a new relationship by the time Christmas rolls around.....we'll see what the next week unfolds.

BUT....let's take a step back. Let's forget the parties, the baking and the gifts. Let's breathe. Last week, we went to the capitol to see the tree lighting. It was the first time we've ever done that. It was magical. The girls got along and everything went smoothly. This Monday, we're going to see "Winter Garden Glow"....never done that either! As we do these things, I am reminded that it's not about the wrappings and trappings. It's about the memories, the joy and the fellowship of this family. Things have changed, our puzzle has shifted...but it's good.

I want to remember all the joy, the adventure and the fun we have. I want to hold on to the smiles, the laughter and the goofiness. I want to love well and be loved much. And I want to let you in on a secret: It's about one gift. A very long time ago, God created the earth. And He put us on it. When we didn't do what we should've, He allowed His son to be born, on Earth to human parents. He didn't want anyone to suffer, didn't want anyone to be separated from Him...so He created the sacrifice. His son was born so He could die, so we could live. He bottles our tears, prays for us and died for us. He prepares a home for us (me), He is our (my) bridegroom. His heart is for me and no one could stand against Him. He is love and He loves us (me) much.

Christmas is fun. It's beautiful, uniting and joyful. It is the one time of year that people tend to forgive more, give generously and forget sorrows. And sometimes, forget what it's all about. It's not about the wrappings and trappings....it's about celebrating the baby that was born to die for YOU.

My Christmas wish for you this year is that you love well. Remember to love those you would typically overlook, enjoy the little things and soak up the blessings God has given you. Even when it seems like there aren't any....He is there. He knows, dear one. He sees you and knows your name. His plan is perfect.....just hold on and enjoy the season. His gift was for you.


Merry Christmas, friends. May your holiday be bright. May the Son shine.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks. I'm always amazed at how well He knows me and the way that He tells me in unmistakable, personal ways.
    LOVE this time of year. Would LOVE to see a picture of that little girlie!
    LOVE YOU!
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete